Only the most hardcore Thrones fans know these facts. Let us know what surprises you the most in the comments section!
- Showrunners David Benioff and D.B. Weiss want Game of Thrones to have a more realistic, human feel than other fantasy shows, which is why Jon Snow is seen using the toilet at least once per episode.
- No character in the show has actually ever said the word “dragon.”
- What a coincidence! We all know fan favorite Tyrion Lannister is a dwarf, but actor Peter Dinklage discovered during the filming of season three that he too has dwarfism. “It really gave me insight into Tyrion’s mind that I didn’t have early on in the show,” admitted Dinklage.
- A Song of Ice and Fire author George R.R. Martin cameos as a horse every season.
- Composer Ramin Djawadi wrote the Game of Thrones theme song just thirty minutes before the show premiered, after finding out last-minute that they weren’t allowed to use the Seinfeld bassline.
- Thrones is not above product placement to balance out its massive budget. This is most evident in House Greyjoy’s changing its motto from “We Do Not Sow” to “Can You Hear Me Now?”
- To get the proper reaction from actors during The Purple Wedding, producers decided to actually poison actor Jack Gleeson. “At the end of the day, murdering a child was the only way to go,” explained Benioff.
- The show’s principal filming locations are Northern Ireland, Croatia, and Newark, NJ.
- The most challenging aspect of shooting the huge battle scenes is convincing the extras to pick up their prop swords, as many fear the weapons will get fused to their hands.
- Some superfans are giving their kids GoT-inspired names, like “Castle” and “Breasts.”
- Martin based many elements of Westeros on real historical events and places. For example, The Wall was inspired by an old refrigerator that Martin’s parents used to lock him inside of as a child.
- “She’ll be taking lots of improv classes, but she won’t be very good,” says Weiss on what’s next for Arya’s training in Season 7.
2 thoughts on “12 Shocking Game of Thrones Facts That Will Change Your World Forever”
Hey Dan. It’s Bob Schroeder. Yes, as in Jeff. Hope you and your family are well. At dinner last night, Jeff said he thought you did stand up from time to time, or maybe most of the time. Either way, Karen and I are in NYC a lot these days and would love to come see you do your thing. Just let me know, or where to go to find out. Thanks a bunch.
Hi Bob! It’d be great to see you and Karen in NYC sometime. I don’t have any big show dates coming up right away, but you can email me next month or so at email@example.com and I’ll let you know. Thanks for reaching out!